Retention Licence - Application (WA)
A retention licence can only be applied for by the holder of a current prospecting licence, exploration licence or mining lease. In respect to prospecting or exploration licences these must be applied for prior to the 10th February 2006.
The holder may apply for a Retention Licence if:
- there is an identified mineral resource located in, on or under that land; and
- the mining of that identified mineral resource is impracticable because —
- the resource is uneconomic or subject to marketing problems although the resource may reasonably be expected to become economic or marketable in the future; or
- the resource is required to sustain the future operations of an existing or proposed mining operation; or
- there are existing political, environmental or other difficulties in obtaining requisite approvals.